onsdag 14 juli 2010

- ? -

How? What? When?

I remember specially one boy, the son to some friends of the family. He was spoiled, he was the only child from his moms first marriage, got what he wanted, when he wanted. That should not have been much of a problem, I knew more kids who were spoiled due to rich parents, but there was something special about this particular boy. He was rude, he never wanted to chair his things, but wanted to use everyone elses without even questioning. I never thought about it then, or maybe I did but used different terms for it, but I believe that what he was missing was a true home.
Sure, he grew up in a big nice house, but everything felt like a magazine add. His room was as perfect and tidy as the living room and dinner area. It had a big bed, a big tv, and a modern computer. He was aloud to play almost anywhere, as long as it didn’t leave a trace of any kind and he didn’t disturb the guests.  That didn’t only limit his way of expressing himself, but it also limited his way of interacting with the people around him.

I just remembered this boy and his family today  in the train, on my way home from work in the city. The train was crowded, and in comes a family consisting of 3 young daughters in the age between 4-7, the mother and the grandparents. As fast as they walked in a rose from the seat so that at least one of them had a chance to sit down. To my great surprise I was the only one leaving my seat for this family. Still sitting down were people ranging from 17-50, all of them pretending like they didn’t notice that here were this family of  6 who all looked like they could need a place to rest. The grandfather and I started talking seeing that he was surprised that someone had actually moved to make way. They had been at the ZOO all day, and were just looking forward to getting home to rest their feet, and it was a fact that didn’t chock me the least after even seeing a glimpse of their tired expressions.

That he was surprised, surprised me. Isn’t common humanity to move when you see someone running to catch the train, or rise when you see person in greater need of a place to sit that yourself? Apparently not to everyone!

Not only did it bring me back to the memories of that boy who wouldn’t even consider to do anything for the sort, but it also made me wonder what sort of people who surround me every day, and how this way of interacting have accured.

I doubt that this is a new phenomenon, but that doesn’t mean that today's society don’t have any influence over it. On the contrary, I believe we can change this, if we only figure out the different factors that impact such behavior.

This event fits perfectly in into what I personally find interesting,  how today's family-structure and living-conditions reflect on how individual interact with the people around them.